History

The following should provide a brief overview of the history of Charité.
For a more detailed account of our history, please consult the relevant pages that have been provided for the different campuses.

You are here:

  • 1710: Establishment of quarantine facilities for plague victims just outside Berlin's city limits
  • 1727: Expansion to a military hospital with educational training centre. Friedrich Wilhelm I. names the new building the "Charité"
  • 1785 – 1797: New construction on the Charité
  • 1810: Establishment of the Berlin University with medical faculty
  • 1818: Conversion of a former colour factory to the University Clinic (Universitätsklinikum) Ziegelstraße
  • 1896 – 1917: New construction of the Charité with red brick
  • 1906: Opening of the Rudolf Virchow Hospital
  • 1933 – 1945: Expulsion of Jewish researchers; destruction due to war damages
  • 1945 onward: Reconstruction of the Charité
  • 1946 – 1989: The Charité serves as the most prestigious institute of the GDR
  • 1968: Opening of the Hospital ‘Klinkum Steglitz’, which was later renamed ‘Universitätsklinikum Benjamin Franklin’ (1994)
  • 1997/1998: Merger of the medical faculty of the Humboldt Universität with the Virchow-Klinikum of the Freie Universität to form the "Universitätsklinikum Charité, Medizinische Fakultät der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin".
  • 2003: As a result of the merger of the Charité with the "Universitätsklinikum Benjamin Franklin" of the Freie Universität, the "Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin" becomes a [member corporation] of both universities and, thus, one of the largest clinics in Europe.
  • 2013: Foundation of the Berlin Institute of Health (BIH) with the aim of strengthening the translation of research findings from bench to bedside
  • 2015: The Berlin Institute of Health becomes an autonomous statutory corporation with Charité and the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine as corporate members
  • 2016: Ceremony to mark the formal handover of the main ward building (Bettenhaus) on Campus Charité Mitte. Originally opened in 1982, the building had undergone an extensive program of renovation and remodeling
  • Opening of the Charité Emergency Medicine Center/Charité Notfallzentrum Mitte – Rudolf-Nissen-Haus, which boasts 15 state-of-the-art operating rooms, intensive care services and Charité’s new Main Emergency Department
  • 2019: Formal signing of the administrative agreement finalizing the formal integration of the Berlin Institute of Health (BIH) as Charité’s third pillar (alongside the Medical Faculty and the University Hospital)