Meta menu:

From here, you can access the Emergencies page, Contact Us page, Accessibility Settings, Language Selection, and Search page.

Open Menu

Independently organized stays abroad

Naturally, you can opt to arrange your own stay abroad. You will need to be a natural self-motivator with initiative and perseverance: you will need to conduct the necessary research to get the relevant information, prepare applications, contact lecturers/tutors...But, as the saying goes: No pain, no gain!

Find the topic you are looking for
Find a contact

You are here:

Studying abroad

If you are hoping to cover specific course modules integral to your course as part of your stay abroad, you will find it extremely difficult to make your own arrangements. You are also likely to incur substantial fees.

Furthermore, there is no guarantee that course credits earned as part of your stay will be recognized by Charité. We would therefore advise against using this option. Instead, we recommend that you use the Erasmus exchange program.

Nursing placements, elective clerkships and final year (PJ) rotations

The practical components of the course provide an ideal opportunity for those hoping to gain experience abroad. All you need to do is find a suitable vacancy and apply directly to the university/hospital of your choice.

As a rule, the regulations pertaining to the recognition of nursing placements nursing placements, clinical electives and Final year (PJ) rotations are determined by the Berlin State Department for Health and Social Affairs (LaGeSo). Please ensure you read the relevant websites carefully!

For extremely useful and relevant tips, please go to

Research traineeships

Research traineeships are easier to arrange on your own initiative. However, it may be helpful to secure the support of Charité-based researchers and gain access to their network of international contacts.

A research visit to the U.S.A. can be organized via the Biomedical Sciences Exchange Program (BMEP). The program provides targeted assistance and support, which includes arranging the student's laboratory placement and exemption from paying university fees, and also includes practical help and advice regarding preparation and formalities (visa etc.). This type of visit to the U.S.A. should be regarded as an additional qualification, as it does not count towards the degree itself, and will only ever qualify as a practical placement.

For further information, please click here.

We’re at your service

Many international medical schools request that applications be accompanied by a Dean’s letter or Letter of recommendation. You can request such letters at

Please note that, due to capacity constraints, we are only able to issue standardized Dean's letters and letters of recommendation, and will be unable to accommodate requests for personalization in relation to your qualifications. We would advise that you contact a lecturer or tutor of your choice, who may be able to prepare a more personalized letter of recommendation to accompany your application. We will gladly provide further advice for preparing your application in person. Simply request an appointment.

If you require an English-language transcript of records, please go to The Office of Student Affairs and request a stamped copy there.

Your contact partner