Campus Benjamin Franklin (CBF)

Address: Hindenburgdamm 30, 12203 Berlin
t: +49 30 8445 - 0

Following World War II and the division of Berlin, the west part of the city no longer had a university since the former Friedrich Wilhelms University was located in the new Soviet sector. Thus, in 1948, the "Free University of Berlin" (Freie Universität Berlin) was founded. Initially, the medical faculty used the public hospitals in West Berlin.

In 1958, a decision was made to erect a large hospital complex in South Berlin. Between 1959 and 1969, the "Steglitz Clinic" (Klinikum Steglitz) was constructed. The USA contributed about one-fifth of the funding as "evidence of the American interest in the future of Berlin". Thus, the first large medical center in Europe was established that unified all institutes, clinics, and lecture halls under one roof.

Over time, the clinic expanded and individual institutes moved into surrounding buildings. In honor of the American support, the clinic was renamed the "University Clinic Benjamin Franklin" (Universitätsklinikum Benjamin Franklin, UKBF) in 1994. The UKBF contained about 1,200 hospital beds and 36 scientific institutes. In 2003, the UKBF merged with the Charité and is now known as the Campus Benjamin Franklin (CBF).

Facilities A-Z

Looking for a clinic
or an institute?
Here they are ...